If you’ve noticed some familiar deals while browsing this year’s Black Friday ads, it’s probably because you’ve seen them before.
Holiday shopping alert: New ads, same deals
According to an analysis conducted by BestBlackFriday.com, 24 out of 25 stores (96%) are repeating at least one deal from 2015. Even more shocking, 13 out of 25 stores (52%) raised prices on at least one repeat item.
The side-by-side comparison below shows a number of kitchen products are coming back for another year at JCPenney, but they’re priced the same — $9.99 after rebate.
Here are some other examples of return Black Friday sale items, according to BestBlackFriday.com:
- Costco: SanDisk 64GB Ultra Plus MicroSD Card for $10 off ($15 off in 2015)
- Dell: New Alienware 15 Laptop for $1,299.99 ($1,199.99 in 2015)
- Kohl’s: The Big One King Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper for $29.99 ($27.99 in 2015)
- Sam’s Club: BF Goodrich Set Of 4 Tires for $50 off ($50-$70 off in 2015)
- Sears: Travelers Choice 19.5-in. Linden Spinners for $39.99 ($34.99 in 2015)
- Staples: Brother MFC-J480dw Color Inkjet All-In-One Printer for $59.99 ($49.99 in 2015)
- Walmart: Crock-Pot 5-qt. Slow Cooker for $9.76 ($9.72 in 2015)
Read more: Full Black Friday ad scans
If any of the repeat items that you see in a Black Friday ad were a good deal last year, they may very well be a bargain this year — if they’re priced similarly.
However, the repetition of these deals indicates they’re not once in a lifetime offers that you need to wake up at 4 a.m. to get.
How to save the most money on Black Friday
Clark says that you’ll save the most money by analyzing the ads for the true deals and going wherever the bargain is, whether it’s online or in the physical store.
And even when you’re in the store, take a moment to do a price check with your smartphone.
“When I shop, I have my list in one hand and my phone in the other. As I find the items I want, I always do a quick scan to check to see if it is less expensive elsewhere,” said Tracie Fobes of PennyPinchinMom.com.
Using Amazon’s app, you can scan an item’s barcode in the store to compare prices instantly.
If you’re not interested in braving the crowds on Black Friday, retailers will continue to roll out plenty of new promotions. Here are Clark’s favorite days to shop between now and Christmas.