It’s back-to-school season, and you know what that means: back-to-school shopping!
According to Parenting.com, parents are planning to spend $179 on back-to-school stuff per child; $131 on clothing and $48 on school supplies. But with a little planning, you really don’t have to spend that much!
Here are some of the best deals right now, plus where to look for more savings on school essentials.
Where to get the best deals on essentials
- Pencils, pack of 20: $.97 at Walmart, Staples #2 Yellow Pencils 12-ct. for $0.75 at Staples
- Pencil sharpeners, 12-pack: $1 at Dollar Tree
- Mechanical pencils: 8-pack at Dollar Tree for $1 or 7-pack at Dollar General for $1
- Markers: 8-pack for $1 at Dollar Tree or 10-pack Crayola for $2 at Dollar General
- Pens: BIC Round Stic Ball Pens 60-ct. for $4.00 at Staples, Everyday Essentials Gel Pens (40-pk.) â€“ $8.98 at Amazon
- School glue: $.50 at Target, Staples, or $1 for a 2-pack at Dollar Tree
- Glue sticks: 4-pack at Dollar Tree for $1 and Staples, 3-pack Elmer’s for $1.50 at Dollar General
- Crayons: 48-pack for $1 at Dollar Tree, 24-pack at Target or Dollar General
- Stapler with staples: $1 at Dollar Tree and Dollar General
- Compass & protractor: $1 at Dollar Tree
- Ruler: $.25 at Staples, 3-count for $1 at Dollar Tree
- 1-subject notebooks: $.17 at Walmart
- Folders: 3-pack 2-pocket folders for $1 at Dollar Tree
- 3-ring binder: $1 at Dollar Tree
- Composition books: $.50 at Staples
- College-ruled paper: 150 sheets for $.82 at Walmart, 120 sheets for $.75 at Staples
- Scissors: 2-pack for $1 at Dollar Tree,
- Kid’s backpacks for $4.97 at Walmart
- Portable insulated waterproof thermal lunch box: $2.83 at eBay (Please note, these ship from China and may take several weeks to arrive.)
- Uniforms: Up to 50% off school uniforms at Old Navy, save 50% on uniforms at The Children’s Place with code â€œSUMMER50â€
- Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus scientific calculator: Start at $30 at eBay
- Texas Instruments TI30XIIS Scientific Calculator: $8.00 at Target
- Basic computer: Acer 15.6â€³ Chromebook for $120 at Groupon
Best stores to shop for back-to-school deals
If you’re looking to shop all in one place or you just want to find the best deals in general, be sure to visit these stores for better prices on back-to-school!
- Dollar General â€“ Save $5 when you spend $20 or more on school supplies with coupon code â€œSAVE4SCHOOLâ€ â€“ in-store or online.
- Dollar Tree
And, if you want to spend the least while you’re out shopping, shop on a tax-free holiday! Check out the dates for your state below.
Read more: 7 ways to get free books for your classroom