Though you could spend as much as $1,099 for the newest iPhone XS or $999.99 for the Samsung Galaxy S10+, you don’t have to spend that much to get a decent smartphone. And though many cell phone providers such as Verizon and T-Mobile, (and Costco, we might add), offer big discounts on the latest smartphones, these deals are often tied to monthly installment plans.
If you buy a phone outright without being tied to a monthly installment plan, the iPhone 8 (a better buy than newer iPhones, according to Consumer Reports) will still run you about $499.99 from a provider like Boost Mobile or $599 from the Apple store.
But, there’s no need to spend that much! If stashing some cash is more your thing instead of buying the latest and greatest, here are a few smartphones that’ll get the job done, all under $200! (Note that due to variable or dynamic pricing, prices on these phones may fluctuate.)
Affordable, budget-friendly smartphones
The Moto G6 has dropped significantly in price since it was first released. Clark is a big fan of the Moto G phones since they work on all four major networks! You’ll find the 64GB version of this phone for $159.99 at Amazon for Prime members, or get the 32GB version for $139.99. If you’re not a Prime member, this phone starts at $179.99. The latest version of this phone, the Moto G7, starts at $259.
- 5.7-inch; 2,160×1,080 display
- Android 8.0 Oreo
- 12-megapixel and 5-megapixel camera
- 1.8 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 processor
- 3,000mAh battery
This Android smartphone, made by Huawei, offers 3GB RAM and 32 GB storage with the capability to expand up to 256GB with a micro SD card. Reviewers call it one of the “best cheap phones on the market.” You’ll find it at this price in the blue version, but other colors are just a few dollars more!
- 2160 x 1080 FHD+ resolution
- Dual-lens 16MP + 2MP rear camera
- GSM / 4G LTE compatible
- 3GB RAM, 32 GB storage + micro SD compatible up to 256GB (not included)
- Dual Nano SIM card capability
- 2.36GHz Octa-Core processor
- 3.5mm microphone jack
- 3340 mAh battery for up to 1.5 days of screen-time on a single charge
- Upgradable to Android 8.0 Oreo. Get the latest version of Android through your Honor 7x’s software update.
TechRadar gives the Xiaomi Mi A1 smartphone a positive overall review and says it offers “a premium feel on a budget.” This collaboration between Xiaomi and Google brings consumers “a potential hydrogen bomb for the budget smartphone market” due to its hardware, software and design aesthetic. It’s available in the gold version for this price.
- Dual Main Camera: Wide angle lens 12MP and Telephoto lens 12MP
- Chip: Snapdragon 625, octa-core 2.0GHz
- Display: 5.5″ FHD 1920×1080, 403 PPI
- Memory: 64GB ROM, 4GB RAM
- Compatible with GSM carriers such as AT&T and T-Mobile
Buying refurbished can save you big! This refurbished unlocked 32GB Samsung Galaxy S7 is selling for $147.95 at eBay right now, and the seller Bidallies offers free 30-day returns. According to the product description, this phone is in great cosmetic condition and has been professionally restored to working order by a carrier-approved vendor. This one works on Verizon’s network, but you can also find refurbished models that work on other carriers.
- 4K video recording
- Air gesture
- Dual rear cameras
- Fingerprint sensor
- Internet browser
- Music player
- Near field communication
- Wi-Fi capable
This iPhone, though refurbished, saves you big on the cost of a new smartphone and offers a ton of storage space. Initially receiving an average 4.5-star review from TechRadar for its great design, better battery and improved keyboard, the iPhone 6S has come down quite a bit since it’s initial price of $299.
- Operating System: iOS 8
- Processor: A9 Chip, M9 Motion Coprocessor
- Memory: 2GB RAM DDR3
- Storage: 64GB
- Camera Resolution: 12.0 MP
- Battery: Non-removable 1810 mAh
- Display Size: 4.7″
- Display Resolution: 750 x 1334 pixels
- Connectivity: 3G, 4G LTE, WiFi, Bluetooth v4.0, NFC
- Height: 5.44″
- Width: 2.64″
- Depth: 0.27″
- Weight: 5.04 oz.
RELATED: The best cell phone plans and deals