Though you could spend upwards of $1,149.00 for a phone like the iPhone X, you don’t have to spend that much to get a decent smartphone. In fact, Consumer Reports tested the iPhone X and found the iPhone 8 is a better buy for the features. Plus, the fragility of the new iPhone X has become an issue, changing Clark’s mind on his longstanding advice about extended warranties — something he typically tells people to avoid!
And while many cell phone providers such as Verizon and T-Mobile are offering big discounts and BOGO offers on the newest smartphones right now, these deals are often tied to monthly installment plans. If you buy a phone outright without being tied to a monthly installment plan, the iPhone 8 will still run you about $600 from a provider like Boost Mobile or $699 from the Apple store. And though the iPhone 7 is a great option for the features according to Consumer Reports, you’ll end up spending about $549 for one right now.
If stashing some cash is more your thing instead of buying the latest and greatest, here are a few smartphones that’ll get the job done, all under $200!
Great smartphones under $200
Huawei makes great smartphones at an affordable price. Available at Amazon right now for $179.99, the Huawei Honor 6X gets an average review of at least 4.5 stars at both retailers. Customers note the price, camera and great features. This unlocked smartphone can be used on GSM networks like T-Mobile, AT&T and Cricket Wireless, and it’s available in gold, grey or silver.
- Dual-lens 12MP camera
- Android 7.0 Nougat
- EMUI 5.0. Octa-Core processor(16nm) and 3GB RAM
- 32GB storage capacity
- 2.15 days of battery usage, and 1.5 days of very heavy usage, on a full charge.
- If two SIM cards are inserted, one SIM card at a time is set as 4G/3G/2G, the other slot will be set to only support 2G networks.
Used Moto G5 Plus for $160.92 for Prime members
The Moto G line of smartphones are known for their value and the fact that they work on all four major networks, making switching providers a breeze. Amazon has this phone for Prime members with ads for $160.92. It gets an average 4.1 out of 5 star review, with high marks for the price, camera and ease of use. B&H Photo and Video is offering it new for $229.99. B&H also has the earlier model, the G4, on sale for $199.99, or if you’d rather go for more memory, the 64 GB G5 Plus is $299.99.
- Rear 12MP camera + 5MP front
- 2.0 GHz Snapdragon 625 Octa-Core processor
- 32GB storage capacity + 2GB RAM
- 5.2″ IPS LCD touchscreen display
- microSDXC memory card slot
- Android 7.0 Nougat
As the upgrade to the Honor 6Xsmartphone, Amazon is offering the Huawei Honor 7X smartphone for $199.99. This GSM smartphone gets good marks for the display, cameras and performance, though the battery may not be quite on par with other smartphones.
- 16-megapixel primary camera and a 8-megapixel front camera
- 1.7GHz octa-core HiSilicon Kirin 659 processor
- 4GB of RAM with 32GB of internal storage, expandable up to 256GB via a microSD card
- Android 7.0
- 3340mAh battery
Though this phone is selling for $199.88 at BrandsMartUSA, you’ll find the 32GB version of this phone starting at $129.99 in grey. This phone has great battery life and performance, but reviewers say it’s heavy and the camera is slightly lacking.
- 5.5″ 1920×1080 IPS display
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 quad-core processor
- 64GB internal storage
- 4GB RAM
- 16MP main + 8MP secondary cameras
- Fingerprint sensor
- Quick charge 3.0 + USB Type-C port
- 4070mAh battery
- Android 6.0 (Marshmallow)
Buying refurbished can save you big! This refurbished unlocked 32GB Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is selling for $197.97 right now, and the seller Tek Replay offers free returns within 30 days with the buyer paying return shipping and also includes a 60-day warranty. According to the product description, this phone “has been professionally restored to working order by a carrier-approved vendor. It has been inspected, cleaned, and repaired to meet manufacturer specifications.” Tek Replay also has a refurbished iPhone 6 available for $199.97. The price on the Galaxy Note 5 beats Amazon by $75.98!
- Internal memory: 32GB, 4GB RAM (memory not expandable)
- Compatible with Verizon Wireless and is also unlocked for all GSM carriers (like ATT and T-Mobile)
- 5.7-inch Super AMOLED capacitive multi-touchscreen
- Android OS, Octa-Core CPU: Quad-Core 1.5 GHz Cortex-A53 Quad-Core 2.1 GHz Cortex-A57 processor
- 16 megapixel Camera (5312 x 2988 pixels) front-facing 5 megapixel camera with optical stabilization