Though you could spend upwards of $1,149.00 for a phone like the iPhone X or $819 for the Samsung Galaxy S9+, you don’t have to spend that much to get a decent smartphone. In fact, Consumer Reports tested the iPhone X and found the iPhone 8 is a better buy for the features.
Though many cell phone providers such as Verizon and T-Mobile offer big discounts on the latest smartphones, these deals are often tied to monthly installment plans. If you buy a phone outright without being tied to a monthly installment plan, the iPhone 8 will still run you about $600 from a provider like Boost Mobile or $699 from the Apple store. And though the iPhone 7 is a great option for the features according to Consumer Reports, you’ll end up spending about $549 for one right now.
If stashing some cash is more your thing instead of buying the latest and greatest, here are a few smartphones that’ll get the job done, all under $200! (Note that due to variable or dynamic pricing, prices on these phones may fluctuate.)
Great smartphones under $200
The Moto G6 Play is the less expensive cousin of the newest member of the Moto G family, the Moto G6. Clark is a big fan of the Moto G line of phones since they work on all 4 major networks, so if you happen to need to switch providers to get a better deal or due to something else, you should be able to do so without a hitch. However, the Moto G6 Play is limited to GSM carriers such as AT&T and T-Mobile. TechRadar gives it an average review of 4 out of 5 stars, noting the “long-lasting battery” and a “surprisingly good screen.”
- 5.7″ HD+ Max Vision display
- 32 GB, 3 RAM
- 1.4 GHz quad-core processor
- Android™ 8.0, Oreo™ – microSD, up to 256 GB
- Non-removable Li-Ion 4000 mAh battery
- 13 MP with phase detection autofocus (PDAF), /2.0 aperture camera
As the upgrade to the Honor 6X smartphone, Amazon is offering the Honor 7X smartphone for $199.99. This GSM smartphone receives good marks for the display, cameras and performance, though the battery may not be quite on par with other smartphones.
- 16-megapixel primary camera and an 8-megapixel front camera
- 1.7GHz octa-core HiSilicon Kirin 659 processor
- 4GB of RAM with 32GB of internal storage, expandable up to 256GB via a microSD card
- Android 7.0
- 3340mAh battery
TechRadar gives the Xiaomi Mi A1 smartphone a positive overall review and says it offers “a premium feel on a budget.” This collaboration between Xiaomi and Google brings consumers “a potential hydrogen bomb for the budget smartphone market” due to its hardware, software and design aesthetic.
- Dual Main Camera: Wide angle lens 12MP and Telephoto lens 12MP
- Chip: Snapdragon 625, octa-core 2.0GHz
- Display: 5.5″ FHD 1920×1080, 403 PPI
- Memory: 64GB ROM, 4GB RAM
- Compatible with GSM carriers such as AT&T and T-Mobile
Blu smartphones have been known for their affordability, but not so much their features. However, this Blu Vivo smartphone offers more processing power than previous Blu phones and a sleek 5.5″ display.
- 5.5″ full HD 1080P display with curved Corning Gorilla glass 3
- Body design made out of 87% metal with fingerprint sensor
- 64GB internal memory, 4GB RAM
- Ultra quick 9V/2a charger with long lasting 4,010 mAh battery
- 13MP Sony IMX258 main camera with flash and 16MP selfie camera with flash
- MediaTek 6755 Helio P10 2.0 Octa-core processor
- Compatible with GSM networks in the USA and worldwide
You’ll find the 32GB version of the LeEco LE PRO3 phone starting at $140.90. This phone has great battery life and performance, but reviewers say it’s heavy and the camera is slightly lacking.
- 5.5″ 1920×1080 IPS display
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 quad-core processor
- 4GB RAM
- 16MP main + 8MP secondary cameras
- Fingerprint sensor
- Quick charge 3.0 + USB Type-C port
- 4070mAh battery
- Android 6.0 (Marshmallow)
Buying refurbished can save you big! This refurbished unlocked 32GB Samsung Galaxy S7 is selling for $179.99 at eBay right now, and the seller Buy Spry offers free 30-day returns. According to the product description, this phone is in great cosmetic condition and has been professionally restored to working order by a carrier-approved vendor. It works on GSM wireless providers such as T-Mobile and AT&T.
- 4K video recording
- Air gesture
- Dual rear cameras
- Fingerprint sensor
- Internet browser
- Music player
- Near field communication
- Wi-Fi capable
This iPhone, though refurbished, saves you big on the cost of a new smartphone and offers a ton of storage space. Initially receiving an average 4.5-star review from TechRadar for it’s great design, better battery and improved keyboard, the iPhone 6 has come down quite a bit since it’s initial price of $750.
- iOS operating system
- Apple A8 64-bit. processor
- 64GB RAM
- 1334 x 750 resolution
- LED-backlit widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
- 4.7″ display
- 1.2 megapixel, f/2.2 lens, BSI sensor, 720p video front camera
- 8+ megapixel phase detection auto-focus, f/2.2 lens, warm LED flash, BSI sensor with 1.5 ultrapixels / touch focus, face detection, panorama, burst mode, auto HDR rear camera
- 1080p HD can capture stills while recording video, 240 fps slow motion mode, time-lapse video, stabilization.
RELATED: The best cell phone plans and deals