Delta is running a Global Flash Sale for both domestic and international trips booked using SkyMiles. What’s unique about this latest offer is that the points redemption will get you a seat in the Main Cabin vs. Basic Economy. This gives you free cancellations (no change fees), eCredit if you cancel to apply to your next flight — and some other perks when flying international such as better seat selection.
Click in the Origin to change your departure city to view the point levels. But see some essential steps to take below to take an advanced dive into availability. Using points for domestic trips is debatable. Boost your point levels with associated Delta SkyMiles credit cards and save points to use on trips of $500 round-trip or more.
Regardless of your destination you must still pay applicable taxes and fees that vary widely (from $30 domestic to $200 international).
- Book on or before September 27
- Travel from November 1-February 15 (I found the lowest redemption levels through March 2023 to Europe)
- A round-trip booking is required
- A minimum stay of a Friday night is required for domestic trips
- Minimum stay of 7 days or more to Europe
- Blackout dates: November 11, 17-19; December 15-January 8
Here are samples of the miles needed for international trips from Atlanta (typically 90K-300+K). You’ll find similar levels from other U.S. gateways:
- 20K Vancouver BC
- 36K Costa Rica
- 56K London
- 60K Brussels, Paris or Rome
- 70K Athens, Nice and cities in Spain
- 75K Tel Aviv
- 80K Nairobi
- 82K Buenos Aires (some economy SkyMiles seats exceed 330K!)
- 132K Tokyo
- 100K Seoul
- 50K Guayaquil, Ecuador (often at 180K!)
- 60K Hawaii
- 70K Vienna and Munich
- 78K Santiago, Chile
- 96K Papeete, Tahiti
Here are some sample of SkyMiles redemption from New York:
- 36k Lisbon
- 43K Iceland
- 62k Tel Aviv
It’s not so simple to view the international point offers but I may have found a relatively easy way to help the booking process.
Follow these steps (it’s slow and tedious but it works!):
- Log into your SkyMiles account at Delta.com.
- Enter your departure and destination. Choose Round-trip. Enter dates (approximate range of dates is okay) and number of passengers. Beneath you’ll see SEARCH OPTIONS. This is the key step. Click only the My dates are flexible box. Ignore other filters and don’t worry about choosing Basic, Main, Comfort+, etc. as you will be given the options to choose in later steps (sometimes not during special promos).
- Hit the big red arrow to Enter.
- You will see a calendar with round-trip Basic Economy class fares. Yes, we know you want to use points but hang in (you may see an outstanding price to purchase vs using miles).
- *Most important step! Above to the left, click Price Calendar (next to Flexible Dates).
- You will see another calendar with prices. This step adds left and right arrows to the calendar to move dates back or forward and to see point redemption levels.
- Next, see the Filter tab in the upper right. Choose Show Price In Miles. You are in! You will see the lowest redemption levels highlighted in green. Use the arrows left and right of this calendar to view more options. You’ll also see the amount of tax/fee that you must pay.
- Each time you modify your search such as changing your destination or dates – do not forget to click the My dates are flexible box. Otherwise later steps don’t work.
Search Google Flights or Kayak.com/explore to find the best travel dates and prices and see Clark’s travel planning and booking guide for the best tips on stress-free travel. Check out InsureMyTrip.com for travel insurance. This deal ends on September 27.