If you haven’t recently searched for airfare deals to the Caribbean and Mexico, get ready to see round-trip rates starting from $600 and well over $1,000. It’s crazy expensive and that’s for the back of the plane basic Economy class. If you want a seat selection you’ll pay more and even more for a checked bag.
Yes, there are ways to beat that lower-end $600 with Spirit and Frontier, but a number of travelers will prefer to fly with a legacy airline.
Here’s an amazing example: Delta will set you back $1,294 for an economy class ticket from ATL to Montego Bay, Jamaica over the Memorial Day weekend (other summer dates from $700). Compare that to nonstop flights priced at $244 round-trip on Frontier over the same dates (other summer travel dates average $380).
Delta serves a number of destinations to the Caribbean and Mexico from Atlanta with nonstop service. I spy some cheaper rates for late summer trips and for travel into March of 2024. This sale isn’t advertised at Delta.com so there isn’t a good way to know how long this sale will last. But looking at the Delta Vacations website gives a clue that it may run through April 30. So now would be a great time to save on vacation airfare through early 2024 and before they rise in price again!
Here are some round-trip Economy class sale airfares from Atlanta (one-way permitted in some cases):
- $327 Cancun / May 8-June 21
- $347 San Juan PR / August 8-December 5; January 10-February 28
- $492-$558 Cabo San Lucas / a few May dates; August 1-September 19 (one-ways permitted through September 29)
- $536 Puerto Vallarta / August 1-September 18 (one-ways permitted through September 30)
- $547 Punta Cana DR / July 11-October 28; November 28-December 11; January 3-February 27
- $578-$603 Belize / August 2-December 12; January 2-March 6
- $588-$613 Grand Cayman / June 19-December 12; January 3-March 6
- $589 St Thomas USVI / August 22-September 27; January 15-February 28
- $617 Exuma Bahamas / June 21-July 19; November 26-December 13; January 2-17
- $618 Turks & Caicos / July 26-December 12; January 3-March 7
If you don’t see your favorite sun spot on this list it’s because the airfare is simply way too expensive on Delta. American Airlines has a number of Caribbean destinations on sale for under $400 for travel into early 2024. Destinations are served with one flight connection in Miami.
Although Delta flies nonstop to these destinations, keep in mind that Frontier and Spirit also offer a handful of nonstop flights from the ATL to the Caribbean and Mexico — and for much less. But remember all of those extra fees can add up quickly.
Sale rates are not permitted during the week surrounding Thanksgiving.
See Clark’s Travel Planning and Booking Guide for the best tips on stress-free travel, and check out InsureMyTrip.com for travel insurance.