Getting sticker shock from shopping car rentals? So-called deals are far and few between due to huge consumer demand and rental car companies having to sell cars to survive the covid pandemic). Consumers are facing rates of $100 per day (or more) on average in medium and large cities/airports for the next several months.
But before you hit the road there is a way to know that you got the lowest rates out there and that’s at AutoSlash.
Here’s how it works:
- Visit AutoSlash to receive a free quote (in just a few minutes). If you choose to click on an option you’ll be taken directly to that rental car company for booking.
- Once you’ve found your car at a great rate, let AutoSlash continuously check for an even lower rate. Simply share your reservation details and let the AutoSlash database apply every known car rental coupon and/or discount code. You’ll receive a notification of any lower rate. You would then cancel the old reservation and re-book at the lower price (AutoSlash doesn’t book or cancel car rentals).
AutoSlash has also performed well in consumer review site tests. In a 2019 price test by ClarkDeals, AutoSlash beat the other car rental sites’ average price by 22%.
Here are a couple of decent offers for weekend and longer road trips:
- AutoSlash found a savings of $50 on a weekly rental from Hertz, including Memorial Day weekend (excluding Hawaii). A 24-hour advance reservation required. The offer is not valid on SUVs, minivans, convertibles and other premium category cars. A minimum 5-day rental required; 27 days max. Pick up your rental car by June 7.
- Another decent deal is one free day on a 3+ day rental from Dollar. Valid on a mid-size (intermediate) or higher vehicle through December 31.
- Avis offers exclusive benefits for Amazon customers with savings of up to 30% base rates, plus 10% back in an Amazon Gift Card (issued within 48 hours). A bonus: this offer has no expiration date.
- According to Scott’s Cheap Flights, Costco Travel often has cheap rates on rental cars.
- USAA members may be able to get a big discount on rentals. One of our team members recently saved $200!
To keep rental car costs to a minimum, here are some tips:
- Book as early as possible!
- Never prepay a rental. Instead, choose the Pay Later option.
- Check weekend and weekly rental rates. A 5-day rental, considered a weekly rental, may be cheaper than a 3-day rental.
- If you find ridiculously high rates or even sold-out locations, try tweaking your pick-up/drop dates and even the pick-up/drop times. Even an hour or two may make a difference! Try to keep your pick-up and drop-off clock times to be the same to avoid extra day charges.
- Compare rates for the same city at the airport and at a neighborhood location.
- Discounts of 10%-20% on weekly rentals and/or $20 off of base weekend rates are typically offered year-round and are not a big deal. A 30% savings or more is your goal. Quotes are free at AutoSlash.com and you can view all of the current offers and coupon deals from all rental companies. Also in your search, indicate any groups or memberships that might make you eligible for other discounts such as AAA or Costco. Other sources for rental car savings include Priceline, Kayak, and Hotwire.
Want to stay up-to-date on all the best deals? Sign up for our newsletter below!